the most important part about محاشي is the filling. You can use cabbage, zucchini, eggplant, grape leaves, turnips, bell peppers, ..., and many other vegetables. But, if you screw up the filling, the whole thing is wasted. this post is for the equivalent of 20 small zucchinis.Read more >>
- 1 part meat
- 2 parts rice
- 1/2 part parsley
- marinara sauce or tomato paste
- enough potato slices to line up the bottom of the pot
- spices: salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice.
- vegetable oil (if the meat has fat on it, I don't recommend adding any oil)
- finely chop the parsley and mix with everything except the potato and tomato parts
- gut out what needs to be gutted out (zucchini, eggplant,...) and wash
- stuff the vegetables with the mix up to half capacity
- spread slices of potatoes at the bottom of the pot
- line the stuffed vegetables inside the pot
- pour a jar of marinara sauce or a couple of table spoons of tomato paste
- fill with water to cover
- bring to boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes or until rice is ready.